I made a baby quilt this past week for little baby boy Cooley. I had so much fun doing it. Amber had registered for some receiving blankets so I used one of them from the package to make the quilt. I was hoping to find a solid blue flanel that matched the darker dot in the fabric. But ended up with the lighter blue dot color. I still liked it though.
I’ve only made 2 other quilts and after the last quilt I made for Caleb before he was born, I was determined to never quilt again! But that was before my new machine. Quilting with this machine was a breeze. I love my machine. It has an on machine dual feed quilting foot which makes all the difference. Though with this quilt I was determined to not have puckering so I used all straight quilting lines without having to cross so I could avoid the puckers. The next quilt I do I’ll have to test out the dual feed foot with crossing some lines. You know live dangerously.
I’m happy with the way it turned out. I like the three simple panels on the front and then bringing in interest with the top quilting. I’ve determined after this quilt that I need to get a quilting basics book so that I’m not just making it up as I go along. Any suggestions for a good basic quilting book?
Of course I have to include what I’d do differently next time, so as not to make the same mistakes twice. When I was quilting close to one of the corners, I hadn’t pinned down the backing of that corner and it pulled the fabric over on the back too much. I didn’t know how ripping it out would go. So I ended up having to make my binding on the back 1 1/4 inches to reach past that pulled corner. I was kind of bummed about that because I really liked the look of the 1/2 inch binding on the front. Oh well, I learned my lesson. And I guess its not that big of a deal.
I think I get to be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to quilting. Sewing clothes you can fudge things a lot. But with quilting, I like things to be a certain way. I had fun using a different stitch for the seams that joined the three panels. I pieced it normally and then just top stitched that different stitch (mode 2, #66 on my machine).
Another thing I didn’t expect to come up was the backing to not line up with the front. I pieced both the front and the back, not something usually done in traditional quilting. Now I know why. The lines didn’t match up completely, so if you look closely at the back you can see the difference. Again its not a big deal. But if I decide to piece the back of a quilt again I will need to be more certain that all panels/sections are exactly the same size. I didn’t pay attention to this detail until it was too late.
This was a fun project. I loved making it for Amber in particular because she is so creative herself and is always giving away lovely gifts. So I was especially excited to give it to her. Now to meet this little boy in less than a month!